Carliths are large gray-brown reptiles with beady eyes, heavy low-slung bodies, sharp teeth, and vicious jaws that drip saliva. Land-dwellers, they grow up to four feet long and move quickly on all fours. They hiss when attacking and when struck.
A common threat to travelers, Carliths are found both above and below-ground, lurking on paths and inhabiting caves.
- Infrequently, defeated Carliths are known to carry gold and other small items.
- According to a trapper in Keth who sells Carlith jerky, Carlith tastes like chicken.
- A threatening note found in Brian Castere's house in Teal calls him a "double-crossing carlith kisser."
- A scroll sold in Panizo, Melay, and Darvi, Carlith Mating Rituals, describes "the random nature of carlith pairings and the probability of producing clutches of certain sizes," adding +5 to the reader's Gambling stat.
- Patchworks of polished Carlith scales are used in the manufacture of the Tortoise Shield, providing a many-angled surface to deflect weapons.